Amritsari Fish is a traditional dish from Amritsar in Punjab, India. It’s a popular street food and is loved by people worldwide. The dish is made by deep-frying fish that is marinated in a unique blend of spices. The crispy and spicy Amritsari fish is a delight to the taste buds and enjoyed as an appetizer or a main course. In this blog post, you will take a look at how you can make this delicious dish at home.
To make Amritsari fish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500 gms fish fillet (preferably boneless)
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Lemon wedges and mint chutney for serving
- After cleaning and wiping the fish fillets dry with paper towels, you can either chop them smaller pieces or leave them whole, depending on your preference.
- Mix ginger-garlic paste, red chili, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and garam masala powder in a bowl. Add a little salt to taste.
- Marinate the fish fillets in the spice mixture for at least 30 minutes. For best results, marinate the fish overnight in the refrigerator.
- After heating oil in a deep pan or wok and making sure it’s hot, add the marinated fish fillets to it with care and ensure that the spice mixture evenly coats the fish.
- To achieve a golden brown and crispy texture, fry the fish for approximately 5-7 minutes, depending on the size of the fillets. Be cautious not to overcrowd the pan while frying, as this can lead to a decrease in oil temperature and result in soggy fish.
- After cooking, use a slotted spoon to take out the fish from the oil and transfer it to a plate with paper towels, which will absorb any surplus oil.
- Serve the crispy and spicy Amritsari fish hot with lemon wedges and mint chutney.
- Use boneless fish fillets for this recipe, as they are easier to handle and cook quickly.
- Before adding the fish to the pan, make sure the oil is hot. If the oil is not heated sufficiently, the fish will absorb too much and become greasy.
- Use a deep pan or wok to fry the fish, as this will prevent any splatters and ensure even cooking.
- To make the fish extra crispy, you can use a mixture of corn flour and rice flour instead of just all-purpose flour.
- If you are using a whole fish instead of fillets, score the fish before marinating it. This will allow the spices to enter and flavour the flesh.
- You can also add a little ajwain (carom seeds) to the spice mixture to give the fish a unique flavor.
Amritsari fish is a traditional meal that is popular around the world. You can create this delicious dish at home with this recipe and suggestions and impress your friends and family with your culinary talents. So go ahead and try making this delightful dish and enjoy the flavors of Punjab in the comfort of your own home!